Monday 17 November 2014

ROAD TRIP! > Nelson Cavaliers 1 (ONE) v Llantwit Fardre 2nds 10! (TEN)



This Saturday the Llantwit Fardre 2nds were on the road for a potentially tricky trip to mid table Nelson Cavaliers FC. 

Last time out the 'Cavs' proved a tough test in a gross scrappy game we ended up winning 1-0 on home turf back in August thanks to a dramatic penalty save from our keeper Ian Sweeney. 

This time out things were different… 

With our squad sprinkled with Fardre first team galactico dust, from the off the boys were foaming at the mouth for goals, going 0-4 up within fifteen minutes. The Cavs were dazed and on the ropes. By half time it was 0-8 with our front players twisting the host’s blood.

After six weeks out, missing three games and becoming a zombie insomniac since Gwen was born in early October, I (thankfully) started from the bench.

I managed to get on up top and within thirty seconds was presented with a chance to score with my first touch. With fellow sub / all round worthy human James Pickett bursting into the box from full back like a young Cafu, he selflessly slid me in. Whilst internally planning my goal celebration mid-stride I went for power, only to see the Cavs keeper raise an arm and deny what would have been an outrageous intro. The football fate gods had sadly not sanctioned this.    

(I owe you a goal James). 

Moments later, I then had a downward header saved miraculously in Gordon Banks style. The Cavs were having a grim day but the keeper was a pretty handy shot stopper in the sticks to be fair. 

The next chance came on the break in injury time when the ball zipped across the penalty box mud to me for a one-on-one and this time I gave the keeper the zombie eyes and side-footed one into the top corner.     


This win will hopefully breathe new life into the Fardre 2nds campaign with a clash next week at home against Pontypridd Town.

Still lots of work to be done (especially on my lungs). With my goal tally now on two (2) though I'm on course for my season target of five (5)! 

More to follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment